Middle School Band
Online nomination deadline: Nov. 4, 2018
Percussion audio files are due by 11:59 PM on Nov. 12.
Wind Player Nomination Procedure
Please fill out the entire form and submit nominations
through the KMEA Members
the posted deadline. Please limit your nominations to 5 wind instrument students per school.
The entry forms are one student per form, so please remember to fill in the proper rank
for the student you are nominating. Please keep the following in mind:
Percussion Recorded Audition Procedure
- Two (2) 7th or 8th grade wind instrument students per school will be
guaranteed a spot in the band: your top pick and a second student based on
instrumentation needs. Up to five (5) wind instrument students from each
school will be allowed depending on the number of schools participating. Again, a
balanced instrumentation is crucial in final selection.
- Remember to rank your students to assist in selection and balance. Also include
detailed comments about your students. This will aid in the selection process.
Please encourage your double/low reeds and horns/low brass to participate.
- Note that the fees must be processed BEFORE receiving music for your
students. Deadline for submitting fees is the day of the High School
- Use the Invoice Generator located here in the SEKMEA website.
Send the invoice and fees to the SEKMEA Executive Director.
Make checks payable to Southeast KMEA.
- The band will consist of 80-90 students.
- PLEASE OBTAIN A COMMITMENT FROM NOMINATED STUDENTS THAT
THEY WILL BE ABLE TO ATTEND THE FESTIVAL. MAKE SURE OF ANY
POSSIBLE SCHOOL-RELATED CONFLICTS BEFORE NAMES ARE
A new feature for the SE middle level honor band is percussionists will be chosen based
on recorded auditions. All percussion students will be able to audition for one, two or all
three selections, Snare, Timpani, or Mallets. Please remember that students are not
required to audition for all three sections. However the more auditions they submit, the
better chance your students will have to gain entry into the band. Record audition
selections on the highest quality recording you have available. Here is the procedure
for recording the auditions:
- DO NOT say the students name on the recording, this will maintain the blind audition.
- Please submit 1 recording per student. Also students auditioning for multiple areas
may put those auditions in a single recording.
- On the email, please have the students name, school, areas auditioning for, and
your name. The band chair will be the only one to see these.
- Recordings need to be emailed by the posted deadline. Any recordings received after that
date will not be accepted. Audition Judging will take place TBA
I will be asking for volunteers.
In addition to emailing the recordings, you will also need to fill out the nomination form
for each percussion student you have auditioning. This will provide the chair with their
school information, areas they are auditioning for, and the students preference in the
event of being chosen for multiple areas. You can rank each students area as well, but I
just need to know what they are auditioning for. When you register your percussionists,
please mark them as percussion in the Student Rank drop down box!!
Please contact the chairperson for the excerpts.
Flight of the Thunderbird: Play measures 5 through 26 (ending on the quarter note Bb) Students should also record themselves tuning the drums in advance.
Flight of the Thunderbird: Start in measure 16 play through measure 33
High Steppers On Parade (oboe/bells): Start in Measure 13 and play through measure 36 ending on Bb