HS Band Audition Information
- Band student's grades 9 through 12 are eligible to audition for this group.
- Every school with students auditioning for band/choir will be guaranteed at least one student placed in either the band or choir.
- Excerpts will be taken from the state audition list
which may be found on the state website (ksmea.org/hsband).
Scales and sight-reading will also be part of the audition.
- If a student is auditioning for both the band and choir, please indicate this on the Student Registration Form and
also indicate the student's "first choice" if he/she is selected for both groups. No changes in preference (band or
choir) may be made after the registration deadline by a student or instructor.
- All students who are auditioning MUST be accompanied by their instructor and the instructor will be required to
participate in judging/audition activities. In the event of an emergency, the director must send a qualified
substitute to judge or help with auditions. Please return the Band Judging Preference Form so we may assign
you to your preferred area of judging.
- Results of the band auditions will be posted on the district website as soon as they are available.
- Auditions for SEKMEA High School Honor Ensembles will be live auditions with the
following exception: The only allowable exception is for students unable to attend
district auditions due to participation in NAfME All-National Ensembles. The
procedure for a recorded audition will be as follows:
- Teacher will take a video recording of the student performing the entire audition material in one take.
- Submit to the district President no later than 7 days before auditions.
- The district President will review the audition to ensure the correct person auditioned and done in one take.
- The President will then forward an audio-only copy to the appropriate ensemble chair who will be responsible for playing the appropriate cut of the audition for judges on audition day.