High School Band Audition Excerpts
All excerpts are taken from the KMEA state auditon material
Please refer to the auditon material from the state website for notes concerning correctons in music and publisher/versions.
All errata listed comes directly from the state excerpts.
Music Requirements for the Wind Auditions
PiccoloSeven Sonatas and Preludes
- A full range chromatic scale slurred up and tongued down. Quarter Note MM=120. Memorization is not required.
- One major scale, either A or E-flat. Quarter Note MM=120. Memorization is not required.
All scales will start on the lowest possible starting note in the practical range.
Each scale is non-transposed (i.e., if a trumpet player is asked to perform a C scale, they will be expected to perform a C scale on their instrument, not a C concert scale.)
The major scale for each instrument will be posted by the band chairperson on the morning of live auditions.
- Sections of the required etudes/solos listed below. Further cuts may be determined by judges the day of auditions and posted clearly outside the audition room.
- Sight reading
by G. F. Handel, Carl Fischer (CU149)** Cuts to be announced **Flute
Polonaise and Badinerie from Suite in B Minor
by J. S. Bach in Concert and Contest Collection for C Flute; edited by H. Voxman, published by Hal Leonard. (HL04471610)
OboeSonata No. 2
- Polonaise mvt (p. 18): play line 4 to the end of the movement taking 2nd endings.
- Badinerie mvt: play measures 1 through 16. End on beat 1 (F) at measure 16.
by G.F. Handel, Carl Fischer (CU1385) Larghetto
- Play Beginning of Larghetto to measure nine ending on eighth note D before the breath mark.
- Play Beginning of Allegro to B end on eighth note A.
by E. Bourdeau, edited by Voxman, published by Rubank (04476934)
B♭ ClarinetConcerto for Clarinet in B-Flat
- Play measures 5 through 20 end on Quarter note C
- Play measure 39 through 47. Stop on beat 1 (A) of measure 47.
by Mozart, Op. 107, K. 622. Revised and arranged by Simeon Bellison (Carl Fischer, W1668).
B♭ Bass Clarinet
- 1st mvt, Allegro moderato: p. 2, play from beginning (solo) to (1).
- Adagio: p. 9, play from (B) to (D). Three measures before D in the Adagio Mvmt the F should be played as a D.
Concert and Contest Collection, Rubank/Hal Leonard (HL04471650), Divertissement in B-flat
, F. J. Haydn
E♭ and B♭ Contra ClarinetLamento
- Start on Measure 11 and play to the end of movement. Take 2nd ending.
- Play beginning of Allegro to measure 62.
by L. Bassi, edited by H. Voxman, published by Ruben (Hal Leonard 04476889) Listed as a bass clarinet solo.
Saxophones (Alto, Tenor, Baritone)Sonata
- Play from beginning to Circle 3. (Measure 38)
by Henri Eccles, arr. By Siguard Rascher, listed as an Alto Saxophone solo. (Theodore Presser 164-00047)
B♭ Cornet and TrumpetConcert Etude, Opus 49
- I Largo mvt: play all
- II Courante mvt: play first four lines. Play the entire measure with the high F# down the octave (Measure 16)
, by Alexander Goedicke. Hal Leonard (HL00121835)
HornHorn Concerto No. 1 in E-flat major, Opus 11
- Play first six lines.
- Begin on second page and play first four lines. Stop at first measure of line 5. Measure 40, 2nd and 3rd notes should be an A and B.
, Richard Strauss, publishers: International (1715) or Carl Fischer (Cu750)
Trombone and EuphoniumAndante et allegro
- Play first 5 measures
- Start at line 7 on first page (solo) and play to last measure of line 1on second page. End on Quarter note (D) of the last measure of line one.
, J. Guy-Ropartz, arr. by A. Shapiro (Carl Fischer CU573)
- Andante: Play from the beginning to the end of the 5th line (end on the "g")
- Allegro: Play from the beginning (line 7) to the three measure rest on line 10 (end on the "d").
Variations on the Theme of "Judas Maccabeus"
by G.F. Handel, Ludwig Beethoven, arr. by William Bell (Carl Fischer, W1644).
TimpaniThe Solo Timpanist
- Variation III: Play from the beginning (measure 9) to the rest (measure 16).
- Variation IV: Play the first 16 measures ending on quarter note A.
by Vic Firth, published by Carl Fischer (04402)
MalletsMasterpieces for Marimba
- Etude X (p. 21): play measure 13 (4/4 section) through measure 19—ending on beat one of measure 20.
- Etude XI (p. 23): play the first 5 lines.
, arr. by Thomas McMillan, Pro Art Publications (PR0BK01202) Sonata
by Archangelo Corelli pp. 16-17
Snare DrumPortraits in Rhythm
- Play Letter B to the end.
, Anthony J. Cirone, 50 Studies for Snare Drum (Belwin Mills, HAB00101)
- Exercise 13: Play line 2 through 6 ending on the fermata before the 3/4.
- Exercise 4: Play first six lines