High School Choir Audition Procedure
- Students will audition on the required state literature.
- Students meet in the auditorium/gym for instructions. They will go through the audition passages for each voice part.
- Students names and numbers are posted at their respective audition rooms.
- Auditions are to be blind with the student behind a screen
- The door monitor will announce the student' number to the judges.
- There will be a person designated to start the CD The student performs their audition without director and without stopping or re-starting the CD.
- There will be 3 judges per room and will score the student's audition on a rubric which will be stapled together and
sent to the tabulation room where the scores are totaled by one director and double-checked by another director for accuracy.
- Results will be posted on the district website as soon as they are available.
- Every school with students auditioning for band or choir will be guaranteed at least one student placed in either the band or choir.
- Auditions for SEKMEA High School Honor Ensembles will be live auditions with the following exception:
The only allowable exception is for students unable to attend district auditions due to participation in NAfME All-National Ensembles.
The procedure for a recorded audition will be as follows:
- Teacher will take a video recording of the student performing the entire audition material in one take.
- Submit to the district President no later than 7 days before auditions.
- The district President will review the audition to ensure the correct person auditioned and done in one take.
- The President will then forward an audio-only copy to the appropriate ensemble chair who will be responsible for playing the appropriate cut of the audition for judges on audition day.