HS Jazz Band Audition Excerpts
SEKMEA HS Jazz Band
2020-21 Audition ExcerptsParticipation Eligibility Requirements
There are two requirements for a student to be eligible to audition for SEKMEA District Jazz Band membership:
Music Requirements for the Live Audition:
- The student's director must be a member of KMEA, will register each audition online, and send the Audition Invoice with appropriate payment to the SEKMEA Executive Director. These must be completed by the deadline established by SEKMEA.
- The student must be deemed an eligible freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior in good standing in their high school.
For all instruments except drumset: A New Approach to Jazz Improvisation
, Volume 13, Cannonball Adderley,
by Jamey Aebersold, 1211 Aebersold Drive, New Albany, IN 47150.
For drumset: Ultimate Drumset Reading Anthology
, by Steve Houghton (Alfred Publications) All auditions will be performed with accompaniment play along recordings.
Optional Lead Trumpet Audition
- Chromatic scale, using quarter notes at the metronome marking of 120 beats per minute. Students are to slur up and tongue down the full range of the instrument.
- "Unit 7" - Play melody one time through.
- "Work Song" - Play the melody twice through.
- Optional Improvisation on "Work Song" - After playing the melody twice through, continue for two full improvised choruses. This effort is optional, but highly encouraged.
(in addition to above material)
Optional Bass Trombone Audition
- Play a one-octave F major scale ascending in quarter notes at quarter note equals MM 80, starting on the top line of the staff.
- Play provided lead trumpet part (Download)
(in addition to above material)
- Play a one-octave B-flat major scale, descending in quarter notes at quarter note equals MM 80, starting on second-line B-flat.
- Play provided bass trombone part (Download)
Rhythm Section AuditionsPiano
- "Unit 7" - Using the left channel only (bass & drums) of the stereo play along recording, play one chorus of right-hand melody with left-hand accompaniment, followed by one chorus of two-handed chordal accompaniment.
- "Work Song" - Using the left channel only (bass & drums), play two choruses of the right-handed melody with an appropriate left-hand chordal accompaniment. Optional: Continue for two more choruses of improvisation.
- "Unit 7" - Using the left channel only (bass & drums), play the melody for one chorus, followed by one chorus of appropriate chordal accompaniment.
- "Work Song" - Using the left channel only (bass & drums), play a chordal accompaniment for two choruses. Start at the beginning of the track again; this time using left and right channels; play the melody twice through. Optional: Continue for two more choruses of improvisation.
- "Unit 7" - Using only the right channel (piano & drums), play the melody for one chorus followed by an appropriate bass line for one chorus.
- "Work Song" - Using the right channel only (piano & drums), play two times through the melody then two choruses of a bass line (appropriate to accompany the melody). Optional: Continue for two choruses with an improvised solo.
Play the following with the accompaniment CD (turn the drum channel off).
- "Basie, Straight Ahead" - Play from the beginning to letter F.
- "I'll Never Smile Again" - Play from the beginning through measure 34.
- "Rio Rhythm" - Play the first 32 measures.
- "Fall Leaves" - Play the first 32 measures.
- "Voyage Home" - Play from the beginning through the first ending.